Thursday 21 May 2009

Norwegian Day and Animals

My camera is back! A little damaged and chunky but functional.
My first exam seemed to go well, the questions were not too bad and I wrote the whole 5 hours.

On Saturday was the Eurovision son contest for those who weren't watching. We had a big party where we all dressed up in costumes for the countries we wanted to win. Norway wiped out the competition getting more than double the second place votes. So we all celebrated long into the night.

Sunday was the national Norwegian holiday of Independence. So we groggily got up and joined a large parade, with music flags everywhere. It was so fun and jolly, everyone was welcoming and it was lovely to be a part of. Later on the kids did shows in the sports center, cake and ice cream was served, there were concerts, just a day of celebration. Many people were in traditional dress. Each region had their own design, Svalbard has ones with glaciers and flowers. It was made even more sweet by the eurovision victory the previous day.

On Monday evening I met two PHD students doing the course I'm applying for in Southampton. We went out for a meal and discussed what they do. It sounds really interesting.
On Tuesday morning they picked me up and drove me with them to the EISCAT radar. We set up a new interferometry radar grid. If I get the PHD I'll be using the system. I hope I made a good impression and they say good things to thier supervisor.

On the way back from UNIS I bumped into a load of wildlife. The geese are coming back, I met two friendly reindeer and an cute arctic fox. It was starting to malt so I didn't go too close!

No comments:

Post a Comment